View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 04:43 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
So that's the big part of the problem...there just aren't many pistols out there which seem as state-of-the art AND sexy as the Beretta 92F did 20 years ago. Remember when Riggs said, "9mm Beretta...15 in the clip, one up the pipe"? In 1987, most American cops were still carrying 6-shot revolvers, so that by itself made his gun sound extra special. If you had a character in a movie today, what could he say about his pistol that would make it seem unique and distinctive?

Also, contrary to what you said, 1911s are clearly not a declining presence in movies. If anything, they're actually experiencing something of a revival lately. Look at TV shows like "The Unit" which features the latest Kimber 1911 derivatives as the lead actors' sidearms. Not to mention that Keanu Reeves carried a custom 1911 in "Street Kings", and Angelina Jolie heavily used the Safari Arms Matchmaker in "Wanted". If anything, it seems to me that the new 1911s might be starting to fill the void that was left by the Beretta 92F, though there isn't really one specific make or model that's caught the attention of filmmakers.
In Lethal Weapon Murtaugh actually said "15 in the mag", not clip. Which is surprising since the overused and incorrect term is clip. While there was the Wonder Nines of the '80's Beretta, Glock. The Hi-Power is a 13 shot pistol it came out in 1935. I consider it the first Wonder Nine. It's always overlooked. But like you said the Wonder Nines weren't all that revolutionary as they were portrayed in the '80's.

While the 1911 still has usage in new films, they are all almost always custom. No bone stock GI models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I want to see a thug pull out a hi-point instead of a beretta 92fs. Or a lorcin or some crap. Mix in a little realism.
I was watching an episode of The Shield and a Mexican thug pulls a chrome Lorcin on Mackey. Surprised the hell out of me.

Last edited by predator20; 11-13-2009 at 05:05 PM.