View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Much as I hate to play devil's advocate to Channing Tatum, he's hardly the worst actor I've ever seen. But I do frequently find myself wondering why he keeps getting cast as pretty boy soldiers - first in "Stop-Loss", then in "GI Joe: Rise of Cobra", and then in "Dear John". I would kinda prefer Hollywood find some other actor to typecast in such roles (if they're going to typecast at all - that's a whole other issue).

Also, I don't think Channing Tatum deserves to shoulder all of the blame for "Rise of Cobra". It's not like he's playing a role that requires acting, so much as looking cool in the suit and doing the stunts. If the script sucks and the director is unimaginative, then the movie is going to be unwatchable, regardless of who plays the lead.
I'm not going to argue that a good actor, say Jeremy Renner, as Duke would've saved the film, but it's still telling that people are calling Channing Tatum out specifically in an otherwise atrocious film. It's like when people call out Megan Fox's bad acting in Transformers. You know she had to be at a special level of bad to stand out like that.