View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 01:31 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
A lot of people didn't like the Ghost in the Shell live action adaptation because the actress who portrayed Major Motoko Kusanagi wasn't Japanese or even recognizably East Asian. Technically, the writers could have hand-waved it since the Major is in essence a braincase and can wear any cyborg body with any appearance she chooses, but that didn't work out either. Changing Itami's ethnicity with live-action casting might be considered "yellow-face" again.

My guess is that the harder elements of Gate were censored by not including them in the script used for the anime adaptation in the first place, probably due in part to budgetary concerns.
You don't understand adapting some thing into a different culture. If I was making a 1 to 1 remake of the show in Japan or in an Asian setting and made all the cast white, THAT'S a problem.

Ghost in the Shell is a very Japanese piece of fiction with no room to work without. All they really needed to do is change all the names from their Japanese names and set it in a place appropriate for the cast. Hell, they should have kept the setting since it's very Bladerunner like and not tell us where in the world they are located at and we'd have no problem at all, but they wanted to keep all the names, including the Major and convoluted a plot to why she's Japanese in a white woman's body.

Also, a lot of NON Japanese people were harping on the white washing thing. There wasn't a single outrage or complaint from the Japanese anime community about it. I'm not sure if it's racist for other people to be offended in place of those that are supposed to be offended but aren't.

I'm not calling my main character Itami and casting a black guy in his place. That's stupid. I'm changing the names and location and taking the general premise. The cast of the other world doesn't need changing. Instead of Tokyo, Japan. It's in Chicago and there are more white, blacks and Hispanics in Chicago than Asians. I know because I'm Chinese and I lived in Chicago.

If I am keeping him Japanese, then I'd need to pick an appropriate Asian actor and if I want to be honest, the pool of competent Asian actors is very small compared to other people. The only reason I'm thinking about Micheal B. Jordan is because of the recent Black Panther success and that he's secretly an Anime fan.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”