Thread: Asian names
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I'm about to create an actor page for a Korean actor. What's the policy on Asian names? Is there one? I'm seeing names done both ways right now. Chow Yun Fat, for example, is listed as that right now, but Lee Byung-hun is listed as Byung-hun Lee. IMDb appears to do it the western way, but when's the last time anyone referred to Chow Yun Fat as Yun Fat Chow? And Wikipedia does it both ways.
It's what ever he or she is most famous for. IMDB is just being politically correct since the Chinese use the last name first, (just like the Japanese). I remember this with famous Chinese Actresses like Gong Li, or Zhiang Ziyi.

Remember, IMFDB veers from IMDB's protocols when it comes to Titles. We do the same with foreign names. Now the American/western name of the actor/actress as listed on IMDB takes precedence. But we use the most familiar name in the style of Western familial order (i.e. first name first, family name last). I surely don't want to see Jet Li listed as Li Jet. I won't recognize who is he unless I think about it. So it's given name first, family name second. Whoeever has created an actor page in the other fashion, is actually 'doing it wrong', so I would probably change it.

Hope this helps.