View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I thought they were all Marines in the film. It'd have to be a pretty beefy role too, I'm guessing either Hummel himself or Major Baxter .
That would have been ridiculous if they were trying to pass him off as a USMC officer. In the film there were the Marines that were under Hummel's command, and then I thought the rest were mercenaries led by Captain Darrow (Tony Todd) and Captain Frye (Gregory Sporleder). I can't remember if they were explicitly stated as being ex or serving Marines, but whatever they were they were being paid to be there, and were not in it for the ideal like the Marines under Hummel. There was a line at some point about how Hummel had never worked with them or their men before, but they lived up to their reputation, and then later when they found out they were not getting paid they tried to kill Hummel. Maybe I am reading to much into it, but I always assumed these people were "for hire" to one degree or another.

As from the sound of it the script was very early on, it is not much of a difference to have the hired muscle being foreign or USMC. Or the story could have been totally different from the final film, maybe he was going to fill the Captain Mason spy role and just have him be from a different European country (would ahve to change the timeline a bit to get the age to match up though).