View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombees View Post
It's funny, I always thought the MP5 was so popular because it was an excellent weapon. Like "The Number one SMG in the world" kind of excellent. Since the MP5 dominates the media so much, I assumed it was highly favored by Tactical teams and Special Forces people. Even on the news, when they show SWAT teams, most of the time they're carrying MP5s or M4s(then again, I haven't watched the news in awhile...). I'm sure it's still a fine weapon, just not the Godly SMG that Hollywood and Video games seems to make it be.
From what I've gotten from Former SAS members is that the reason they chose the MP-5 was that because of the closed bolt the first round fired was dead on target. in the type of work where they used the MP-5, HK-53 or G-3KA4 they could not afford to have bullets everywhere.

In Oman and Yemen they prefered anything that could reach out the sometimes Vast distances that you can clearly see someone. heck one member once commented to me that for distance work in the Middle East he prefered a WW2 era Mauser.