View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Eh, I respect 'em. Unfortunately, the only Smith auto I own is a 4506, and I've just never been able to enjoy it that much. It's just too big. As far as the "greatness" goes, they do what they do well and are very nicely priced. They don't quite have that stylishness and mystique that their Euro counterparts tend to have.

I became a SIG P226 owner recently. I understand (from reading your profile) that you think the 5906 is the P226's equal in most ways - except cost?
They're reminiscent of eachother. They're both full sized guns, yet are shorter than most, they work no matter what you do to 'em, they're combat accurate, and just plain sexy.

S&W has different models within models too, mine has the round trigger guard, the round butt xenoy grips and the low mount Novak 3 dot sights. You can change the grips, or get a model with adjustable or post sights, and the famous square trigger guard. Their first and second generation guns also have noteworthy trigger reset and fine tuning you won't find in a modern day 3rd gen, or most other double action pistols,and at 3-400 bucks average, it's a great buy.

As far as the magazine disconnect goes, it can't leave you screwed if you reload right. Have your new magazine ready before you drop your original one, and you'll only have a split second of "safe gun". If you're completely out too, what's it matter? Also, if you hold the trigger just close enough to keep the gun from going off, but to leave the action in tact, you can fire it with the mag out. I'm also pretty sure there's some minor smithing that will allow you to disable it as well. It's not a weakness, just a feature.

I drool over the 4506 after working with a S&W auto. The child of the 39 and the 1911, it seems like it'd be a fantastic gun.

Oh and a fine SIG, MT, fine indeed.