View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
What would be the point of trying to manufacture full-auto AKs when there are 100 million of them in the world and they can be illegally purchased/imported with such ease? It would be redundant.
I said the "AK-47 of SMGs," in other words a fully-automatic SMG with the reliability and ease of construction of an AK-47. Something like that would be ideal for those with a predilection for indiscriminate carnage and mayhem since it would be more concealable than an AK-47 and could in theory be easier to get ammo for. It's probably a lot easier to get straw buyers to buy individually small amounts of pistol ammo that is then used for illicit, untraceable SMGs (since they never had serial numbers in the first place) than to buy rifle ammunition without raising lots of red flags.

From what I've seen, the "wrong people" will try to exploit gaps in law enforcement methods when they can. After using metal detectors on airplane passengers before they boarded became more common, the shoe bomber came along, succeeded by the underwear bomber after airports required potential passengers to take off their footwear. Once many stores started rejecting 50 and 100 dollar bills, I remember hearing that counterfeits of 20 dollar bills started to become more widespread--at least until paper currency authenticators started becoming more common. I guess the correct circumstances haven't arrived yet, though.

I'd call these hypothetical home-brew SMGs "Saturday Night Sundances" myself (based off the term "Saturday Night Special" used for junk guns), but the Sundance comes from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" when you want to go out guns blazing.