View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I'd rather have the option than others telling me I can't own one.
Pretty much this. Ostensibly it'll be for home defense but really it's more to fit her semi-contrarian 'go screw yourselves telling me what I as an independent free-thinking and self-operating adult woman can and can't have' attitude, which in this particular instance has only been reinforced with the ever-growing maligned sentiment clamoring for AR bans (Even my late night man Conan broke his form and stepped in the ring with that shit, bah). Just how she is - They say she shouldn't have something when she otherwise has the right, she'll have it almost totally to spite them. It's enough for her that she has the right anyway, regardless of all the statist schoolmarm assholes bleating about how people don't 'need' semiauto 5.56s - 'need' is almost totally irrelevant there. Keep in mind this is not really a young woman who is into firearms in the first place, let alone 'scary black rifles', but as said, she likes the right to the option, and the right to exercise said option.

I really have no say in this regard (nor frankly have I any desire to argue against anyway), all I've been able to do is caution her a bit and give her insight on the actual proper and practical uses of such a tool. In truth I doubt it'll ever be used as anything more than a range toy, but again, to her, no one else's damn business or concern why she has it. That said, I agree mainly that in an actual active shooter scenario a rifle is unlikely to be much help short of being slung on your person, but I think Excalibur makes a good point about having it as part of a bug out kit/plan (that'd be how I'd go about it). Home defense is another story, however (though personally I've always leaned to the shotty there myself).

Last edited by StanTheMan; 06-14-2016 at 07:14 PM.