View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I still question the homemade assertions. There seems to be plenty of evidence that cartels purchase guns from both the intl. arms market and the U.S. civvie market, or steal them from govt. sources (exact percentages for each source are what's debatable). But homemade? Mexicans are not like Pashtun or Yemenis. There doesn't seem to be any empirical evidence that Mexicans build homemade guns.

Also, isn't "imported from Mexico" almost oxymoronic if they're in Mexico to begin with?

BTW, I was looking at a video on YouTube recently of UVF paramilitaries attending a gun lecture. The UVF used to make homemade copies of Sterling subguns, and they're really crude-looking. You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZBQxKQo2cE

And this is in Northern Ireland, a place where (unlike Mexico) modern tooling would have been much more readily available. If Ulstermen and Irishmen build guns that look that crude, I can't imagine the Mexicans could make theirs a whole lot better (assuming they actually do make guns, which seems doubtful).
The problem with these people making homemade weapons they are fighters not craftsmen so their products come out looking like crap and work the same. The weapons made in Pakistan on the border are amazing who the quality is for being homemade. They are craftsmen and have pride in their work when making a firearm right down to put in the inspection stamps. All they use is hand tools and forges no CNC machines. They just take pride in their work.