View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Just watching the first episode of "The Last Ship", and for something that is filmed on board a real USN Destroyer so obviously has a fair amount of military backing, I would have expected a bit more military authenticity. I'm only about 15 minutes in, and already we have had a Russian helicopter force, which consists of a load of MH-53 and Twin Squirrel helicopters, with the guys in the Squirrels firing M60s. Its like something from the 80s where they just didn't give a shit. Hell, the MH-53s are even purely CG, there is absolutely no reason they couldn't have made them something Russian. To make matter worse, the MH-53s are depicted as gunships, with machine guns and rocket pods under the sponsons (dangling low enough that they would be scraping the ground if the helicopter tried to land by the way). Why the didn't just make them Hinds, the most stereotypically Russian helicopter ever which as a plus is actually a gunship, I will never know.

And the target these magical, Russian, gunship MH-53s are attacking? An Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer, which already knows they are hostile, and yet lets them get within strafing range, and does absolutely jack-shit about them until they have made a couple of passes with rockets and machine guns. Then when it finally does something, it launcher some chaff rockets, which miraculously seem to decoy a couple of unguided rockets. When they do engage them they only use guns, including the Phalanx CIWS which had apparently up to this point just ignoring the incoming rockets, and was biding it's time waiting for the helicopter to seemingly just wander in front of it.