Thread: Web series
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Like I said, it's a bit hard to classify. IMDb lists it as a TV series, but it feels more like a short feature that was just cut into ten segments. Unlike a more conventional series, with multiple writers and directors, there's just one writer and director.
the problem we are going to run into here is that NEW MEDIA is changing the face of what we call Movies and what we call TV shows. I suspect that there will be more and more media created specifically for streaming onto Computers and mobile devices. The future is changing rapidly and media is being redefined all the time. IMDB is no longer the benchmark it used to be since a ton of student made shorts got onto the site (due to some clever tricks to fool the IMDB mods) and the fact that there are now tons of obscure 'film festivals' around the world, in which to qualify the title.

I would say do it. Make the page, but with a very clearly worded caveat that this is 'new media' i.e. web based content and that you (or whoever creates the page) put on a notation that this title was approved by the mods and that all new media must be run by the mods to see if it qualifies.

Web series unfortunately can be just like 'self distributed video features through Amazon". Once Amazon allowed ANYONE to distribute their own video movies for a fee, it changed our definition of 'professional channels of commerce'.

So far I like our standards of what we do or do not allow. It keeps the site relevant to people truly interested in film history, etc.