View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 AM

I think the Lemat is a super clever concept, but every time I pick one up (repros, obviously) it feels more like I'm holding an axe than a pistol.

I think the Lee-Enfield rifle is just about the finest military rifle ever issued, Garand included. Given that I own 9 of them, I'd say they're my overall favorite.

My favorite automatic is the 1911, specifically the pre-1934 Colt-made 1911s. While the A1 is a big improvement in terms of pointability and the hammer bite issue, the original 1911s are just pretty. I also have a soft spot for the Mauser C/96 and the Webley & Scott autos.

My favorite revolver is the Webley Mk.VI, though I'm also pretty partial to the large-frame Colts. There's no arguing that S&Ws are technologically superior - but Colts are tougher. While my New Service is about the clunkiest revolver I've ever seen, but I just like the feel of the old boat anchor. There's something comforting about knowing even if I miss with all 6 shots, I can still beat him to death with it.

My favorite semi-auto rifle is the Tokarev SVT-40 - I've shot just about all of it's contemporaries short of the Japanese Type-5, but it's easily the most fun. My favorite automatic rifle is the C8A2 carbine - very accurate and I'm comfortable enough with it to use it when I haven't slept for a week. Just wish they'd give me one.