View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 03:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Ok, my Glock 19 is just shy of being full size and I don't even carry it IWB. I carry it OWB with a decent size shirt covering it. The idea of IWB a smaller gun, a P228 is NOT a small gun no matter what you call it. If guys at my local PD carry P229s as well as the Secret Service...it isn't really a compact gun, much less a gun for pocket carry...unless you meant the pockets of a cargo pants.

I carry 1 spare mag on me for the G19 and it's the full size G17 mag with a +2 extension. To me, that's just enough spare rounds in a first response situation. If I am near my car, I got 2 more spare full size G17s mags in the glove box and a "get home" bag full of other goodies and I plan on carrying some kind of "get home carbine" in there. Deciding on the Kel-tec Sub2000 or something else. Only for trips where I am out of the house all day, not if I'm going grocery shopping around the corner.

I carry my G19 in a Safariland GLS holster and it fits pretty snug OWB, but I wanted the nice smaller, SMALLER gun of the G43 and I can finally IWB carry it and just slap on a plain T-shirt for summer wear. It barely shows up in the tightest shirt I got. I have only like 2 shirts that can really hide my G19 when I carry it. They are button short sleeve 5.11 style shirts. I feel like I'm doing PMC work every time I put them on or go "adventuring" in some 3rd world country (on top of the fact that I wear cargo pants a lot). In fact, the brand name of my button shirts even advertise "for the adventurer in you". On the other hand, I got tons of t-shirts and other casual shirts that don't stand out.

And as to comparing the shooting of the single stack micro carry pistol to a much larger double stack SIG...seriously? A single stack SIG P series is still too big for conceal carry (SIG is trying to advertise the rebirth of the P225 as a conceal carry gun). My G43 shoots and handles bigger than it is. In contrast, if I put my "carry mag", which is fitted with a +2 Taran Tactical baseplate, the feel of the gun is like a G26 sliced perfectly in half and about the same height. If I put the +3, which is my spare, into the gun, it feels almost like a G19 sliced in half and I can still hide it IWB. So yeah, it's a small gun, but not TOO small and shoots like it's a big gun at close quarters range without any severe recoil that makes your shots go off target if you rapid fire. Which I did. I unloaded 9 rounds in rapid fire at a target 10 feet away and all within reasonable placement center mass hits with no "wild" shot that I accidentally threw somewhere because of how fast I was shooting. I've done that before with other small guns with smaller calibers like the bodyguard .380. It's double action trigger was a bit hard on my finer and don't get me started on the Kel-tec TCP.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 06-08-2016 at 04:04 PM.