View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
I was looking at the page today and started counting the guns the ESU peolpe have. I counted NINE differant kinds of guns, in 3 differnat calibers (if you count the AP-74 fake M16s) There are 3 separate SiG assault rifles, and some nut is holding a scoped HK91. Is he planing on sniping from 20 feet or something? 9 kinds of guns, from 6 countries, plus the utterly ridiculous machine gun used to launch grenades. Did they run out of guns or just hand them out willy-nilly inside the gun rental's armoury? Pick-your own, get them before there're gone. Any ideas?

Also, I would like to thank the members of this site, as i have learned a huge amount about guns and how to tell them apart Thanks to all off you.
First off, thanks for your praise. I must warn you, though, some of us are OCD about lots of stuff, so don't take it personally or anything.

I'm guessing the armorer who worked on the film just didn't have very many MP5s or Mini-14s (which would have been standard-issue to NYPD ESU back in 1994) in inventory when he worked on "Leon". Maybe most of them were out being used on other shows. The use of the AP-74 indicates that they probably wanted to get some M16s in the scene (weapons which an American SWAT team, though not ESU, might have been using), but couldn't.

The presence of weapons like the grenade-launching machine gun are probably just for pure action value, though. I don't think the director was thinking too much about realism, more about what looks cool.