View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
As much as I do like the SCAR, my stance on it remains the same. I still have my suspicions that this "Special Operations rifle" (the 5.56 version at least, I imagine the 7.62 version will see some use) might end up sharing the same fate as the Mark 23...

What I don't get is that if SOCOM wanted a gas piston so bad, why didn't they just buy an HK or LWRC upper, slap it on an M4 lower, and be done with it at a fraction of the cost?

Well, chances are HK would charge out the ass for theirs, but I'm sure you'll understand my point.

Or maybe I just answered my own question or something, I don't know. They deemed this civvy unfit for military service...
The SCAR weakness like all AR18 action is in the recoil spring. The AR18 action require two recoil springs to function property. One recoil spring can't handle the load for long. It will loose its strength around 800 rounds or so depending on the quality of the spring.

Once the elastic limited been broken, more malfunctions will occur.

The modified AR18 action in the SCAR probably added a thousand round or two before the limit will be reach. I doubt it because I get the impression from the report that he wasn't the only one that is experience a high rate of malfunctions.