Thread: Sig p227
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 01:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wierd It View Post
Why is everyone so desperate to see the US Military drop the M9, a platform that has worked perfectly well for nearly thirty years?
A lot of people think the 9x19mm isn't powerful enough for a service pistol, but I don't really agree with that. However I have shot the M9 and I really didn't like it as a service pistol for one reason above all others, the slide mounted safety. When I was using the gun, twice I ended up accidentally applying the safety when racking the slide which is something that I really wouldn't want to happen in a fight.

Granted the only pistols I had used before were either frame mounted safety/decocker guns or those without a manual safety/decocker so it may have just been my issue. I know that there are ways to prevent this with training, but I think it is just one more thing that can go wrong and an unnecessary complication on a general issue service pistol. Although I do not particularly like striker fired pistols like the Glock 17, I think it and things like it are a better choices for service pistols due to the simplicity and ease of training.

I also feel like the M9 is probably more susceptible to dust and debris with that open slide and exposed trigger bar. I understand the open slide is to reduce weight, but why the trigger bar is on the outside like that is beyond me.