View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
My grandfather has a subscription to "Guns & Ammo" and gives me the issues when he's done with them. Usually, I like reading them, but I find they have a few too many positive reviews (I remember how much they extolled the .45 GAP Glocks when those came out, even though in retrospect most people now agree that the .45 GAP is a redundant and useless round).

Also, I think that buying a new weapon based on its review in a gun rag is a dumb idea. Unlike cars or gadgets or almost any other consumer product, firearms last forever even with minimal maintenance, so it's never worthwhile to buy a new weapon (even a new make/variant of an old design, like an AR-15 or 1911) as soon as it comes out. Most people - myself included - buy old, used firearms that are still in good condition. So regardless of what a review says, I'm not likely to make a buying decision based on it.
I'm that way also. I have a few that I bought new, but it's usually because there wasn't much of a price difference between used vs new. Or new is what was mostly around. Once you shoot it, it's used then anyway. My S&W 586 and Hi-Power Mark III are older guns that where supposedly unfired since leaving the factory of course that didn't last long.

As far as magazines go I like American Handgunner, they do articles on whatever flavor of the month, but also do them on older handguns also. I have thought about subscribing to them and Gun Digest.