View Single Post
Old 10-19-2022, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I didn't win it. However, I did win the bid on a brand-new Ruger SP101 still in the box with all documents. This one is chambered for 38 Special +P. Not a big deal for me. I own many 38 Special revolvers and I have a fair amount of ammo. The win was $390 and after tax and fees I paid $477. A search on the serial number at Ruger.com shows that it was shipped last year. Considering that in any of the local gun stores I would pay a minimum of $650 (taxes not included) I can't complain. I've been wanting an SP-101 and they aren't easy to find anymore. At least not here in my corner of America. I've looked into ordering one and I was told it would be several weeks (an optimistic estimate) with no definite date of delivery. Evidently Ruger is back ordered several months. This is alright. I replaced the black plastic grip panels with the old wooden ones that came with my GP-100 3". I got the new panels from Ruger. Anyway, it isn't a pre-war M&P Target, but it's something that I have been wanting. Notice how the cylinder is slightly tapered. Looks like Ruger is using the cylinders from the Wiley Clapp SP-101 model. I like the Ruger grips and they'll stay on my revolvers. I actually owned an SP for a few months back in 2005, but I traded it off for something and as the years have gone by, I've regretted doing that. Yes, it's a bit of a chunk, but it's strong and reliable. I'll hold onto this one.

I would not mind a GP-100 (used, Ruger can pound sand after breaking my Redhawk), but they seem to never go cheap anymore! Same with the SP-101s, either used to be easy to find in great shape (along with Security Six series guns) for under $350 at basically any pawn shop here, sadly that ended before I could buy handguns

http://www.introvertisland.com