View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 06:36 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870
The Ar-15 hyping is forum stuff on gun forums not professional articles, Its just always something like:

"hey i want a new rifle for carbine courses is the XCR a good choice handled one in the store and liked it."

"get an ar-15 there the best thats why the military uses them"

"yeah why waste money on that when the time proven ar-15 is avalible"
Sounds like good advice to me. Buying a proven product is often preferable to buying a new and unproven product, especially when the new product costs so much more. And firearms, unlike other consumer products, don't become outdated or useless the way that cars and computers do, which is all the better reason to take a proven firearm over an unproven one.

The XCR also retails for $1500, while a good AR can be had for $800-$900. For someone who's never even owned a rifle before, it's an especially good idea to start with an AR, given its price and its track record.

Quote:
I wouldnt mind having an ar15, just if i spent that much money on a rifle id want something I like a little better.
Which would be well and done, but the biggest reason you seem to have for not liking the AR is the fact that you want to be different. And as I've said already, being different for the sake of being different is not morally superior to choosing something that most people like and enjoy.

Quote:
And as stated I have left handed friends who hit the range with me and a true ambi rifle would be nice.
What's more ambidextrous than an AR? You aren't talking about converting the rifle to left-handed shooting (switching bolt and ejection port) on the spot, are you?

Quote:
Im not ripping on the ar-15, i just dont get why new weapons systems always get beat up on for not being one.
It's not entirely obvious to me that anyone's "beating up" new weapons systems for not being ARs. It would help if you posted some links to forum posts/blogs/whatever to prove your case (being that this is the Internet and all, the rule "post proof or retract" applies).

Quote:
The AR-15 is good, its not all superior, its not 10 levels above everything else, and remember, the first gen ar-15s blew hard, the new age weapons are in their first generation. In 40 years the Imagine where a SCAR or ACR will be.
Most of the "new generation" rifles (like the G36, SCAR, etc.) use the same gas system and bolt design as the AR-18, which is almost as old as the AR-15. The only big differences are that they're made out of polymer and have accessory rails. These aren't "new age" weapons at all, they're basically just modernized versions of a 40-year old rifle that already failed to eclipse the AR-15 in either the military or civilian markets.

Plus, you seem to forget that most European armies are issuing rifles that are based upon AR-18 technology, yet their SF units tend to prefer AR-15 variants.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-01-2011 at 06:40 PM.