View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870
What im trying to say is theres a common theme of people who rip on any rifle thats not an ar-15 or ak and say (SCAR, ACR, AR160, XCR, etc.) are answers in search of a problem, not needed cause the ar-15 exists,
Who are those people you speak of? I'd really like to read an article/blog post by someone who "rips" on the SCAR or ACR or any of the new rifles. I haven't seen too many such articles. Whereas I've seen/heard WAY too many people on the 'Net who seem to think that the AR is fatally flawed, that it must be replaced ASAP, and that the newest rifle platform by H&K, FN, or whoever is the solution to the "problem" of the AR.

And the thing is, this has been going on since I was a kid. If someone had told me in 2000 that the AR was still going to be around (and more popular than ever) a decade later, I wouldn't have believed it. It's not so much that people "rip" on the new rifles; it's just that those new rifles never live up to the hype, so people eventually just stop talking about them and accept that the AR is fine, and in many ways superior.

Quote:
Variety is the spice of life.
Yes, it is. And one of the cool things about free-market societies like America is that there's such a huge variety of choices. But when one particular product endures and remains popular for over 40 years, outliving all of the other choices that have come and gone during that time, it seems safe to assume that this product is the best choice for most people.

Quote:
Its also cool having something thats not exactly common, if 4 of your riends pulled out glocks wouldnt having your sig feel cool?
No.

Also, if 4 of my friends pulled out brand-new, $1500 STI match-grade 1911 clones, and I pulled out my 22-year old, $500 SIG, then by your definition, I shouldn't feel so cool.