Thread: Asian names
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
It's what ever he or she is most famous for. IMDB is just being politically correct since the Chinese use the last name first, (just like the Japanese). I remember this with famous Chinese Actresses like Gong Li, or Zhiang Ziyi.

Remember, IMFDB veers from IMDB's protocols when it comes to Titles. We do the same with foreign names. Now the American/western name of the actor/actress as listed on IMDB takes precedence. But we use the most familiar name in the style of Western familial order (i.e. first name first, family name last). I surely don't want to see Jet Li listed as Li Jet. I won't recognize who is he unless I think about it. So it's given name first, family name second. Whoeever has created an actor page in the other fashion, is actually 'doing it wrong', so I would probably change it.

Hope this helps.
I went ahead and did it the western way, before I saw this, with a new redirect with the Asian way. I guess citing Chow Yun Fat was not the best example because he's a huge star and could thus call himself anything he wants. I've never heard of this guy that I made the page for.

For certain guys, like Jet Li, or Jackie Chan, they have western names, so it's pretty obvious. Guys from Hong Kong are more likely to have western names, but not Mainland Chinese, Korean or Japanese actors.

(I just did a search for Gong Li on IMFDB, and her name shows up both ways, despite only being in one movie.)