View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Well I'm fairly mainstream when it comes to movies. I tend to avoid the arthouse movies. So here are some of my favorite movie directors. Mind you I don't like all their movies, but enough of them that I put them on my favorite list. I make no pretense of thinking they are the best directors in the whole world nor do I expect anyone else to agree with me. After all this is my list.

And once again they're all pretty mainstream. Nothing artistic here. Though Michael Mann does have a flashy style.

John Frankenheimer. The man could be wildly uneven. Especially in the seventies when he was deep in the throes of alcoholism. But I liked Dead Bang, Ronin, Seven Days in May, Black Sunday and The Manchurian Candidate.

Sydney Pollack. A director who made movies from many different genres. But he made a few that I like alot. 3 Days of the Condor, The Yakuza, Jeremiah Johnson, Absence of Malice.

Michael Mann. His movies are flashy. They use realistic details for style not substance (does that make sense?), but they are watchable (for the most part). Also I grew up in the eighties. Thief, Manhunter, Miami Vice, Crime Story, L.A. Takedown. These are movies and television shows that I watched and still watch. Nostalgia I guess is one of the reasons why he is on this list. Well that and Heat. This description is about as close as I can get to copying a film critic.

Clint Eastwood. That's probably all I need to write. Another actor/director that I grew up watching.

Steven Spielberg. Yes I like him. I'm not ashamed to admit I watch his moves.

Ridley Scott. Very commerical, but ever since I saw Alien in 1979 and The Duelists in 1982 I've been a fan. Even his weaker movies (Legend and Robin Hood anyone?) I end up watching.

Don Siegel. Dirty Harry, Escape from Alcatraz, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1955), The Shootist, Charley Varrick, Hell is for Heros. The man was something of a pioneer in the action movie genre. He cut his teeth in the 1940's as a second unit director working with classic actors like Errol Flynn and Humphrey Bogart. He developed an action oriented film style that continues to influence film makers to this day. While many born after say 1980 would probably find his movies ......old fashioned......... I like them.