View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Well all I can tell you is there was once an actor by the name of John Eric Hexum. In 1984 he had a promising career and was starring on a television series called Cover-Up. On 10/18/1984 shooting had been delayed and he was bored and frustrated. When informed of yet another delay he took a S&W Model 29 and put it against his head in a form of mock suicide. He should have used his finger. He touched off the blank in the cylinder chamber and the blast from the blank shattered the side of his skull. He died shortly afterwards in the hospital.

Now I'm not a movie gun guy, but I do have some first hand experience with the power of blanks as well. Many years ago, when I was a young and dumb soldier, I and my fellow soldiers used to take off the blank adapters on our M-16's. We would then put a cleaning rod down the barrel and fire off the blank. The rifle wouldn't cycle, but we didn't care.What it did do was launch that cleaning rod out of the barrel like a spear. I actually got the rods to stick into tree trunks. I shudder to think what it did to the barrel's rifling as well.

Blanks are nothing to mess with.