View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
The setup for the game always kind of bothered me from a logical perspective: I mean I've seen enough about shipwrecks to know all of the exposed ships would have been pounded to nothing by waves centuries ago,
Most of the shipwrecks, at least. It would depend on what conditions they become stranded in. By the time the game takes place, the wooden sailing ships would almost certainly be rotted to practically nothing, while the bow section of the Endurance would probably last about a decade or so before the waves tore it apart (a la, the SS America/American Star) and the Japanese battleship, like the Murmansk and the World Discoverer, would likely remain intact for decades due to being in a small inlet protected from the waves.

Quote:
but how has this island been here with things disappearing all this time, yet the coastguard doesn't know about it? It's like the world affects the history of the island but not the other way around.
Well, it is or at some point was known, as a sizable, well-equipped Japanese expedition and an unknown number of US Marines landed on it at some point during WWII. Trinity also knew about the island and sent at least one agent there to sabotage the Japs' operations. At some point, it would appear the location was lost, with the game's writers using the storms conjured up by Himiko as an explanation, though it doesn't really hold up as the storms only appear when a ship or plane approaches the island, thus leaving it open for satellite photography. If the storms were perpetual, the island could conceivably be hidden from satellites, but then someone would surely have noticed this storm off the coast of Japan that's been going on for practically forever and scientific eyes from all over the world fall on the area which would no doubt somehow still reveal the presence of the island.

In short, "lost" or uncharted islands simply don't work as a plot device in the age of Google Earth.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman