View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Is that your way of saying "be quiet, the adults are talking?"
Not at all sir. I'm only justifying the objective parts of Matts statement, and saying that if you are going to stand for something, stand straight and tall, don't slouch. If you want to engage in rhetorical discussion, it's key that you say what you mean and mean what you say in the best, most articulate way possible, that's all. No need to be mad, guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
Bear in mind the instances of anyone drawing a carry gun during a mass shooting will be minuscule compared to someone drawing a gun during a one on one threat to themself or someone near by. I can't even begin to know what the statistic would be but I'm guessing we are talking a less than one in a thousand. For the majority of personal protection needs a sub-compact will be sufficient. Also bear in mind that a gun is only good if you are carrying it. With a light sub-compact you will be more likely to carry it all the time with whatever you are wearing, as opposed to a higher capacity weapon which you may not be able to wear with all clothing, and large and heavy enough that you may forego due to being an encumbrance.
Oh you're absolutely right, more robberies and other individual crimes happen than mass shootings by a wide margin, and a gun is a gun when it's one on one and you have the only gun. But weighing (excuse the pun) the detriments of the size and weight of heftier, higher capacity "fighting guns" against the detriments of a micro gun in any given fighting situation is what I look to. With a micro gun, you lose fighting edge for ease and consistency of carry, but with a fighting gun, you lose those traits for a better gun. And those more often than not are disciplinary issues that go along with carrying a gun in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I understand some people are physically limited to the gun they can carry through their strength or dress or whatever, but in a world where mass shootings are on the rise (in media coverage anyway) and a world where you have the ability to shoulder the very hefty yet possibly lifesaving weight of carrying a gun for self protection and the protection of others, those who are physically capable of carrying a bigger gun ought to.

I've seen a lot of big burly men carrying, all puffy chested because they support the 2nd Amendment and gaining the feeling that they are the thin line between order and chaos when crime acts before police do, and they carry single stack micro .380s, and it just blows my mind. It will get you out of a carjacking at knife point, but it may not get you out of a gunfight, or a mass shooting if it comes down to it, and the only cost to carry a better gun is discipline in consistent carry of a hefty gun and proper dress and gear to carry the gun comfortably. And with that you now have a much better fighting gun in the rare event something truly catastrophic goes down. I mean, what are the odds you'll be in any crime at all, period? and yet we still weigh that against not carrying a gun, and we carry the gun. It's just the next dimension of that philosophy.

Women and skinny college kids who don't eat enough and don't have the strength or comfort to lug around a P229 or XDM or something like that, yes, I'm for them carrying SOMETHING like a PM9 or a 642 since it's better than nothing, but the former guns are better for all tasks including the ones that are "less likely" if that statistic really matters. Couple that with other semantic benefits like draw speed and a more terrifying presence, as well as the very minute weight differences between polymer compacts/subcompacts among other things, I find carrying a fighting gun to be worth the cost if one can pay it (I'm talking to full grown men for the most part).

Basically, "guns should be comforting, not comfortable" and "carry the biggest gun you can" apply in my mind, and they are better than micro guns given higher versatility at the cost of carriers discipline and full usage of their capability, not minimalistic thinking and action, or, bluntly speaking, if you carry a gun to be a man, then man up and carry a big one.