View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
This is gonna sound somewhat off topic, but I couldn't read one of the newer Stephen King novels for that reason.
I got about 20 pages in, and the main character was horrifically mauled in an industrial accident. I was like: not for me. And stopped reading.

On topic: young people maybe should be introduced to firearms safety at a young age. I know lots of people will never grow up to use firearms regularly(if at all), but I just see no better way to learn respect for firearms(real, blank firing, even replicas) than having your parents instill that respect from an early age.
Couldn't agree more. However it is also true that people will still do stupid things (at times) regardless of their upbringing. Whether it's due to peer pressure, alcohol or just a momentary lapse in reason. Eventually as a parent one just has to cross one's fingers and pray that their teaching sticks.

My father gave me a strong sense of firearm safety and I wasn't encouraged to be reckless. And yet I still did engage in stupid behavior. And I knew at the time it was risky.

Fortunately I was lucky and I got a grip on myself and stopped after a short while.

None of us are perfect and I'm very skeptical of those who claim to be perfect.