View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
The AR-15 is not the greatest wepon in the world, it's jsut used by the military, looks cool and gets the job done. Any attempts to surpass it are shut down by the pro-ar crowd and everyone with one believes it to be the ultimate gun in its class. Everyone gets biased to their guns. Look at pistols. Some say glock, some say 1911, neither will admit anything is better.
All firearms are recycled package from old designs. There really nothing new other then the material (cheap plastic) that is being used and the look of the new platform.

The AR15 is the best rifle in the world. It's not going to change anytime soon because firearms mechanical limitation is near or at it limit.

Quote:
I did not say the SCAR-L/MK16 Mod 0 was being adopted by the US Military. I said The SCAR system is coming on line right now for Special Ops and would be no problem to go system wide with it. FN has produced over 100,000 SCAR-L/MK16 Mod 0 Rifles to date for USSOCOM. The are competing for the Marine Corp IAR program at this time. So if this new ACR program coming up what weapons are going to compete and how do you know that the SCAR is not one of them? Also I would not count on Bushmaster to much they still have a big QA problem as the M4 in Orange County Sheriff Dept that came from Bushmaster are junk.
FN production of the SCAR started around six months ago and I really doubt they produced 100,000 SCAR rifles for SOCOM. The entire US Special Force is less then 15k IIRC. 100,000 is about half the size of the Marine Corp. 100,000 is 5 Army divisions.

If you're talking about the IAR program there are three companies that is on the finial list. Colt AR15 IAR rifle, HK416 IAR, and FN SCAR IAR version. The contract stated whoever the Marine choose, the manufacture will provided the rifles and price on the contract.

The ACR is Bushmaster entry to the future weapon program. ACR was designed by Magpul and it was originally called Masada. Bushmaster bought the rights for the Masada and renamed it ACR. Bushmaster delay the production of the rifle in order to figure out the requirements for the future weapon program. The Bushmaster ACR use an AR18 action and is not an AR15. I think HK416 will be in it. I am not sure if FN will reenter the SCAR in new competition. Colt will put their new version of the AR15.

Quote:
If you want a great AK get one with a milled receiver. Early AR's are Great with the 1 in 14 twist barrel. The A2 you can throw that Marine Corp 800 meter rear sight in the trash. I like the M4 Carbine for a lightweight weapon and the FAL for a Battle Rifle with an 18" Barrel.
The bullet has to weight 45 gr or less in order to stabilize at 1:14 twist. You're better off shooting .22lr at that twist rate on an AR15. The 1:7 twist allows the bullet weight to go over 80 gr. This provides better ballistic and accuracy. A2 rifles are use in long range precision shooting. Competitors using A2 iron sights hit the X mark the size of a CD disk at 600 yards over 60% of their shots.

Glock and 1911 dominate US handguns sells and completions. Glocks and 1911 are use the most in completions because of the triggers. Both are light and has less travel.

Last edited by jdun; 04-21-2009 at 01:05 AM.