View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 04:27 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Think about it from a tactical standpoint. The South Koreans are in the same position we were in the Fulda gap - if war comes, they know exactly where and with who and have been preparing for it for 60 years. It's not going to be mobile warfare, they're going to be fighting from the same defensive positions they've been preparing since 1953.

Now, I'm not saying I'm entirely sold on the system being ready for battlefield employment myself, but if you think about the tactical problem it makes alot of sense for them.
Exactly, South Korea is stuck in a Cold War-type situation with the North where measures of conventional armed strength (number/quality of personnel and equipment, battlefield formations, primary and secondary strike capabilities, etc.) still apply.

Although it is important to keep in mind that North Korea's conventional military capabilities are highly overrated by many analysts. I'm personally far more worried about the possibility of them using the combination of their nuclear/chemical weapons expertise and their extremely well-trained intelligence operatives to carry out terrorist acts, which would then be blamed on non-state entities. I think a situation like that is more likely than the Kims ever launching a nuke-tipped ICBM.