View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 AM

Well, first of all CQB is an American term, and when we say CQC (close quarters combat) we're usually talking about hands, feet, bayonets and rifle butts. Urban warfare is FIBUA.

But not just FIBUA, almost all our training is done with blanks - any time you're out in the field, you're carrying your weapon, and it's with a BFA and blanks (unless you're using simunitions, but they're rare). Live rounds are for the range, period (in fact, in the CF, range by definition refers to where live firing is conducted in a controlled setting, which is not just conventional rifle ranges.)

I doubt we spend significantly less time on the range than US Army soldiers. In fact, and don't take this as a knock on the US military, but we also do alot more cross-training than they do. There are very good reasons we train the way we do and the US military trains the way they do, we're very different organizations with different priorities for training. By way of example I'm qualified on everything from the 9mm pistol to the 84mm Carl Gustav, and I'm not even an infanteer or weapons tech.

Anyways, as for the C9, like I said, it's not an unreliable weapon. Guys like it because its fairly light (espescially the new C9A2, the short barrel and folding butt are awesome inside a LAV). But by the same token, you also see alot of C6s pushed down to sections on patrol, and there's a reason for that.