View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
My dad can do stuff like that. He once converted a state troopers AR-15 A2 and MAC-10/9 to full auto back when cops took advantage of that luxiory, since most cops had to fight the pissed of Native Americans in the 80s, as my dad claims. Unfortunately the guy came back and had them turned into semi autos again, and I only got to shoot them after the switch back.
How is that possible? The ATF doesn't allow full auto guns to be turned back into legal civilian semi autos. They have that stupid mantra :"Once a machine gun... always a machine gun". And they have never backed off of this policy. Also one has to get the federal tax stamp when converting a gun to full auto, even for a police department. If it's before 1986, that was a helluva lot easier than it is today ....

Did you know that ATF changed their rules AGAIN and only allow ONE (!!) post 86 sample of each gun per license? So unless its a pre 1986 transferable, you can only get ONE m16, ONE mp5, ONE G3 .... You can't even get a spare .... Now the only way to get more than one is to (a) already have the multiple guns grandfathered in or (b) get a Manufacturing license and make them under the auspices of a post 86 sample maker.