Thread: No bootlegs
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
You would be too if some dude took a camcorder into an advance screening or worse, paid off someone to make a quick dupe .... and then 10 million DVDs (of which you don't get a nickel for) are being sold around the world by pirates originating from China or Indonesia or Malaysia or Pakistan.

There is a black list of (I think) 14 countries who are notorious for taking your movie, pirating it, and then selling it all over the world for pennies and you don't make any $$ for your efforts. Believe me, the concept of someone making $$ of YOUR work hits home (cough* someone using my gun pics to populate their gun store/auction website * cough). I don' t have the entire list now.

Believe it or not, United Arab Emirates is now OFF the list. Enough of them are tired of the pirate bootlegs which many times don't play in their DVD players because they were encoded so poorly, and they end up actually BUYING the OEM product. OF course with digital downloading that business model will change.

DVD bootleggers are scum.. Of course YOU dont' know anyone like that do you?
Depends. One thing I think is fair to remember is that some of them operate in countries that have extremely harsh limits on freedom of speech, like China, which bans just about anything and everything that is deemed "dangerous" to the whole "harmonious society". In cases like that, I think it's important to remember that the bootleggers are helping their people get a taste of freedom that's being denied to them by their evil governments, and besides, it's money that Hollywood wouldn't be receiving anyway.

The problem, of course, is that they don't care that once they put something on the 'Net for all of their countrymen to see, it will inevitably reach other servers where it can be accessed by everyone else in the world, including people in countries who have no excuse for stealing.

So I think it's kinda wrong to say all bootleggers are scum as a blanket term. Surely you don't think the ones who are fighting government censorship in their commie or shariah-governed countries by bootlegging are really as bad as bootleggers in a country like America?