View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Although we call ourselves Internet Movie Firearms Database, I have generally thought of "firearms" as encompassing small arms.

Mortars are small enough and portable enough that they essentially qualify as small arms. I feel the same way about weapons like recoilless rifles and compact missile systems. Anything bigger, I don't think should have its own page, but I admit it's a gray area. For example, I am fine with the BGM-71 TOW having its own page (which it does), but I wouldn't feel the same way about the AGM-114 Hellfire. I can't really articulate why, since they're both anti-tank missiles. I guess it's because the TOW is primarily a surface-to-surface weapon that is often fitted to Humvees (though it does have air-to-surface variations), while the Hellfire is air-to-surface only and is meant to be fired from gunships.

Maybe I should put it this way: If the weapon is something that is too big or too complex to be carried and operated by platoon-sized units of infantry or cav, it probably doesn't deserve its own page on IMFDB.
TOW has a launcher, Hellfire doesn't. If you see a TOW in a film, it may or may not be the real launcher. If you see a Hellfire in a film, it most certainly is not real, it's just the munition.