View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 02:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
I remember a board game in the 1980's that was about this very scenario. I forget who made it, but it wasn't Avalon Hill. Anyway I purchased it my sophmore year in college (1987 - 1988).

I and my college buddies spent many hours playing this game. The game gave many advantages to the U.S. to include a anti-missile orbital and ground based laser network. We modified the game removing the laser network and giving the invaders a solid foothold on land - ala Red Dawn. Even handicapping the United States and giving several advantages to the invaders the United States was still almost impossible to defeat entirely. Ultimately logistics made all the differences. The invaders had long supply lines and the U.S. didn't. There were other factors as well such as political and diplomatic, American partisans behind enemy lines etc.

Most of the time the invaders could hope for a deadlock at best and more often than not they found themselves being pushed back.

Could this country fall? Sure,but it would take more than sheer force of arms. We would have to collapse from within for an armed invasion to really be victorious. Sort of like what happened to France in June of 1940 and what didn't happen to France in WWI.
Exactly, thanks for backing me up on this. That's an excellent illustration of the inherent difficulties. I've never played Fortress America, but I'm starting to think I should (even though I grew up at a time when board games were going out of style and video games were on the way in).

Supply lines are, indeed, a very huge problem for any military. Land-based invaders have enough trouble protecting their logistics as it is, but sea-based invaders would be a whole other ballgame. But even so, the biggest difficulty I foresee is creating a naval armada with enough aircraft carriers, which is something that's WAY beyond the capabilities of Russia, China, and all the rogue states put together.