View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Default Favourite War Film/Tv series

I was actually a bit reluctant to make this thread initially. I guess threads of the 'your favourite x of all time' nature are done to death on most of the forums i've been on. But i decided to make it anyway, and i don't really have a good reason, other than really liking war films. also to see if there's any i'd missed out on.So, what's your favourite war film (or tv series) that you've seen so far?

My favourite of all time is definately The Thin Red Line. To me, that's more than just a war flick. I loved the interesting characters and the poetic/philosophical overtone. Though i realise it's the sort of film that's not to everyone's taste. One of the rants I often go on (lol) is how TTRL got robbed of attention due to SPR. SPR certainly had some impressive battle scenes (though the omaha beach landing was too short imo), but i thought the characters were pretty dull and one-note. Also, the story seemd a bit contrived. Uh oh, i'd better stop now before i get too far into the rant.

Also, i recently saw Generation Kill for the first time, and thought it was awesome. Like TTRL it's very character driven, and the shootout scenes seemed quite realistic (often being at longer distances).

Some other's i like are; Stalingrad, The Dirty Dozen, Letter's From Iwo Jima, Apocolypse Now, Big Red One, Cross of Iron, Patton, Jarhead, Gallipoli, Breaker Morant and Come & See.

Last edited by Chaosut27; 10-09-2009 at 10:46 AM.