View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
The best use for 10mm ive heard is a trail gun. Some people dont shoot revolvers well, and a 10mm delivers near .357 power in an auto.
"Near .357 Magnum power"? I've heard that under maximally loaded conditions the 10mm Auto can actually exceed that venerable cartridge's capabilities. Sounds like the sort of stuff you would definitely pack into a law enforcement SMG for maximum range and cover penetration, but I don't see more reports of LE agencies or SWAT-type organizations using it. I'd definitely want something like this for officers on high-risk assignments so they can take down the perps more quickly and with less overall danger to the LEOs.

And yes, at least one special operations unit uses a 10x25mm handgun (the Glock 20) as a "trail weapon," since they're a dogsled patrol unit from Denmark that patrols Greenland. They need something like that to confront polar bears, since animals like them simply laugh off 9x19mm rounds. You can read about them here--just search for "Sirius":

http://www.specialoperations.com/Foreign/Denmark/

I'd still like to know whether 10x25mm SMGs would be a more economical and effective choice for a law enforcement unit to use than compact assault rifles/PDWs, and if the 10x25mm round can actually be upgraded to PDW-levels of penetration.