View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
That's what I meant, though I may have written it unclearly. I was admonishing members to check to see whether or not it was a three position (thus a Navy version of the A2 or A3, etc) or a four position (thus an A4/A5) before declaring it to be a certain type of gun. Sorry for the bad writing.
Actually, come to think of it, you did write it fairly clearly. But I'm kinda spacey sometimes, so I just didn't read it correctly. Looking back, I see what you meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I did not know about the AIRSOFT error, but that makes sense. I don't know a lot about airsoft in general. I've seen the guns. Some of them are very impressive looking (I don't care about internals since the only airsofts used in movies are for fake gun stand ins).

What bugs me about airsoft is that so many of the high end (read expensive $$$) guns have a bunch of the details wrong. I've held up the real deal to an airsoft a bunch of times and those airsoft manufacturers make stupid little mistakes that they shouldn't. I figured if some kid is going to spend $400-$1000 on a high end airsoft, he should at least get an exacting copy of the real gun.
Not sure what details you mean, but keep in mind that because airsoft guns have to accommodate electric motors, gearboxes, batteries, etc., it's sometimes necessary for the manufacturer to alter the weapons in some way for all of the internals to fit. Most airsoft guns have magazines that are narrower than those of the "real steel" weapons, for instance, or slightly wider pistol grips/receivers. I recently handled a Real Sword (Chinese company) replica of a Type 56-1 that was very impressive - all metal and wood construction - but its pistol grip was noticeably wider than that of my own (real) Type 56, because the battery was stored in there.

The fact that the names aren't accurate is the main thing I have never understood, especially with Tokyo Marui. Their MP5s are just one of the many goofs they make with names. Here are some others I've noticed:

(1.) Their AKMSU is called the "AK Spetsnaz"
(2.) Their Steyr AUG A1 is called the "AUG Military"
(3.) Their AUG A2 is called the "AUG Special Receiver"
(4.) Their XM16E1 is called the "M16 Vietnam" or "M16 VN"
(5.) Their HK51 is called the "MC51"

What's so funny is when I see people referring to those guns by the names that Tokyo Marui has given them quite often, even on forums as reputable as the Firing Line and AR-15.com!