Thread: Randomness 3
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 07:13 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Just pull the plug on this ridiculous "trademark" bullshit that the Marines have on MARPAT (which actually works), standardize it for all branches, and be done with it. I know they tried to make a big stink about SOCOM's AOR patterns, but got shut down quick.

Funny how the Corps has no issue with the Georgians wearing it, yet they get up in arms at the mere suggestion of their countrymen in the same military wearing it.
Yeah, the inter-service rivalry over camouflage patterns has really made me lose respect for DoD as a whole. We're living in an era where everyone understands (and accepts) the necessity of joint commands and joint operations, but heaven forbid everyone wears the same uniforms! (when in fact, they did so for more than 20 years with the BDU/DCU) I seriously hope Congress passes a law specifying that from this point on, all branches of the service cannot have their own trademarked camo patterns.

As for what new pattern to field: Dunno about MARPAT; I'm not a big fan of the pixelated camo trend in general. However, the method that the Corps used to field that pattern is a good one - separate woodland and desert patterns, plus body armor whose color scheme is a blend of the two. I'm guessing what's going to happen is that DoD requests a desert version of MultiCam, and then they field body armor in the same color scheme that the Corps are using now.