View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I do wish armorers can have some kind of special permission to acquire specific weapons for the sake of movie realism.
Armorers already have the ability to import/purchase/manufacture most types of weaponry that none of us can hope to touch in our lifetimes. If they didn't, we wouldn't get to see the latest FN and H&K toys in our favorite films. But Norinco just happens to be a particularly unusual case, due to their notoriety.

As MPM pointed out, legislators don't think to themselves, "Hmmm, how is this going to effect the armorers who supply Hollywood?" when they sign legislation. And since there are only a few dozen armorers working in California (if I recall correctly), they don't have much lobbying power - although there is a group called the AEAA which attempts to fill this niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I would think the main reason (among others) they're using AKs is probably because they're recognizable as "bad guy" guns.
And I think that (along with the legal issues) is probably the best explanation. Everyone associates "Reds" with Kalashnikovs. I'm guessing that the director probably made this creative decision. If the director had insisted on having Type 95/97s, then the armorers would have tried to get him some (either by vismoding another weapon, or by using those new Real Sword airsoft replicas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Yeah, definitely a valid point, like has previously been pointed out. I was just now thinking that the "captured" Humvees and M1 Abrams (mocked-up Centurions, I know) could be a budgetary tool as well as a way of circumventing the logistical impossibility of a military invasion of the US mainland like we've been discussing.
Yeah, that sounds to me like it might be the explanation conoceted by the filmmakers. But I guess we'll find out when the movie gets released.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-19-2009 at 01:06 AM.