View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Well and done, but here's the problem: If we pull out of Iraq unilaterally, what do you think Iran is going to do? By getting rid of Saddam, we took down the only regime in the neighborhood which posed a threat to their hegemony. If we simply leave Iraq, aren't you worried that our worst enemy in the region will install a Shi'ite puppet regime loyal to them (and hostile to the U.S.)?

Leaving Iraq now would be extremely dangerous to us and our allies because it would give a huge geopolitical advantage to Iran. The Israelis don't want us to let that happen. Neither do most of the other Arabs (for all their bitching). I think I would be crazy to want to see it happen.
I see what you're saying and agree. It's an argument I've made before with others. But I don't see any other way to determine if we were successful there or not but to let them try and stand on their own.

Quote:
Even if that's the case (and most people agree it wasn't), that has nothing to do with why we went to Iraq in the first place.
Well, all I know is I don't buy into the crap about "war for oil" and other similar conspiracies. But maybe I'm not as educated on the situation as I think, so, please, enlighten me.

But I can't help but think that if 9/11 hadn't happened, we wouldn't be at war over there at all today.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman

Last edited by Spartan198; 11-26-2009 at 01:57 AM.