View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 PM

A 627 can't shoot Magnums all day, at least not forever. The one I used was broken, in fact. The single action sear was nearly nonexistent, making cocking the hammer almost impossible, and when it would stay at full cock, the slightest tap on the hammer would send it forward. Not only that, but the gun had developed a gap between the frame and the cylinder, which had gotten so big that the firing pin wouldn't always strike the primer fully, resulting in, what, misfires.

I'll be honest, I may be confusing the 627 with the 620 I shot in the same day, but in any case, the modern Smith did not survive it's usage without scars. On the other end, K frames have been reported with cracked forcing cones, but it'll take the hottest loads or handloads and repeated useage of them to cause that, and in shooting all those loads, your wrist and wallet are also going to hurt and your really just forcing overkill through your gun. Even mid power .357 loads are ballistically superior to a lot of autopistol loads, so unless you're trying to hunt big game with your small gun by feeding it gigantic loads like that, you're overdoing it severely (and even then, the forcing cone only may crack, it's not definite).

This probably isn't the rule, but it's what I've experienced and what I've come to find as some kind of truth. Granted an old Smith does not hold 8 shots, it's still just as, if not more serviceable than a modern one in my opinion, and in getting one, you have a new level of pride of ownership and a lot of money saved in your pocket to boot.