Thread: Getting Inked
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Yeah, just think...10 years from now, he might be some gun-hating liberal soccer Dad who drives a hybrid. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Can't remember if I've ever mentioned it before, but I got a tattoo when I was 21. It's two crossed oars with "HOCR 06" underneath - and I regret it now because I'm no longer rowing, so it commemorates something that isn't important to me anymore. But at least mine is on my upper back.

GunMaster, if you get a 1911 tattoo on your upper arm, I think that's a very bad idea. I'm not opposed to tattoos per se, or even gun tattoos, but getting a tattoo that's that big and that visible when wearing short sleeves is dumb. Even if you think a short sleeve shirt will mostly cover it up in plain view, it might still be visible at certain angles. I'd get it on your back instead.

And don't forget...as much as it sucks, we live in a world where people will make character judgments about you based on a gun tattoo. That could affect employment prospects, and also your chances with girls (try bringing one home and showing her that tat - how do you think she'll react?) I hate to encourage you to accept political correctness, and if you still feel brave enough that you can proudly sport a 1911 tat, then that's your choice. But I'd think long and hard about the consequences (if you haven't already).
I was thinking I might make it a little smaller and a little higher so short sleeves can hide it. As for what girls will think, I wouldn't be very interested in a girl who'd be quick to judge something like that, I've dealt with that before, I try to find girls who are at the very least tolerant of guns, or indifferent. Otherwise it's a lot of ignorant, annoying attempts to "change" me. I'm pretty modest anyway, and rarely wear short sleeves unless it's too hot not to.

I think I can take the odds. I'll make it hideable for jobs, and if someone sees it and is so quick to judge, fuck em.