View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
You'd probably want a Commander sized 1911, since it is the medium sized gun. DON'T buy any of that lightweight alloy crap because alloy frames crack after shooting enough. If money isn't a factor, a smaller sized Kimber might work (you could buy wood grips), although I'd recommend you buy rubber pachmyrs. My dad has those on his Series 70 and they fit the hand well. If you want a little gun with a lot of bullets, get one of the Para-Ordnance compacts like one of the Warthogs. Those little things hold 10+1 when a conventional compact 1911 holds 6+1. The grips are plastic but I'm sure they can be replaced. Like Nyles says, you can't jsut buy the perfect 1911 from the box, you have to build it. If you want nice sights, buy them and fit them. Want wood grips, buy them and fit them. The customization is endless! That's what makes 1911s great. But if you don't like the recoil of a .45, I recommend you buy a full size, it makes recoil a little easier to handle in some guns.

I just remembered I shot a Kimber 1911 compact that I have to say was the best little 1911 I ever shot. It was stainless, had Novak night sights, and recoil was close to 9mm. It was great. Now that I remember that, buy a Kimber. That little gun was sweet.
Eh, my SIG P226 has an alloy frame. I'm not of the opinion alloy is all that bad, though it's certainly not preferable to steel.

Anyway, I'm actually not sure I would want a smaller-size 1911. I would prefer something full-sized, just like the standard service model. A semi-compact like the Commander isn't really necessary to me. I would inevitably buy multiple sets of grips (like I already have for my P226, and as I had for my PT92), but I would prefer some quality wood grips from the factory, just because I associate that with the classic-style 1911.

I'm also not so sure about Para-Ordnance. I've heard good and bad stuff about them all, but all of the ones I've inspected didn't impress me. They're good guns for the money, I guess, but I can't get over the fact that they still feel like they were built with sales quantity in mind.

BTW, my uncle bought my cousin an STI 1911 for his 30th birthday last year. If I ever visit them again, I'll have to check that out.