View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 03:27 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
About 15-16, which is exactly the number of sevicemen I've talked to about it
I find that unusual, considering how few servicemen actually carry sidearms anymore. I know plenty of soldiers (and former soldiers), and all of them got through their deployments without ever carrying the M9. Their only M9 experience was from training and qualification.

I've read countless complaints about the Beretta on the Internet from people who have served (or claim to have served), but 99% of them seem to be about caliber, nothing else. Every once in a while I encounter someone who brings up the slide fracturing problem, but I tend to think they're just echoing what they've read elsewhere - because they don't seem to be aware that this problem (to the extent that it was ever serious) was fixed 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
We should have went with the SIG though
The SIG had issues of its own at the time (breaking trigger bar springs that sometimes damaged the frame, barrel bending, extractor problems, etc.). I love SIGs, but given that the design was still being perfected at the time of the XM9 trials, I think the Beretta made more sense. In fact, if the P226 had become the M9, I'm guessing that it would have just as bad a rep as the 92F by now.