View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 08:13 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe2010 View Post
Not to mention it was filmed within an hour of where I live.
That's interesting. Is it true that people in your area still find spent .223 blanks lying around from all of the gunfire scenes? (I once read that "Starship Troopers" set a record for blank ammunition fired on a movie set.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I don't think Starship Troopers the book is filmable. It's a political science book with some sci fi thrown in. I think if Verhoeven simply called it "Alien Bug Hunt" or whatever, people would've seen it for what it was and enjoyed it more.
Exactly. And the problem is that Heinlein's brand of politics hasn't aged very well (either today, or 15 years ago when the movie was filmed). It's pretty hard to make a movie out of a utopian novel where the author actually admires the utopian world he's conceived. Verhoeven's approach was a satirical depiction of the novel's militaristic society, which is (I think) probably the best anyone could have done. I realize that "Starship Troopers" is regarded as a classic, but so were Mike Hammer novels (which came out around the same time), and I think it would be quite difficult to make a movie adaptation of those, in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
All this talk of Starship Troopers, and yet only one mention of Total Recall. But yes, Verhoeven, like Brian De Palma, have had many dry years of late.
I'm actually not the biggest fan of "Total Recall", though it is an enjoyable movie in its own right.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-22-2010 at 08:23 PM.