View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 06:49 PM
IMFDB Admin

Enemy at the Gates is an excellent film about Vassili Zeitsev, a Russian sniper during WWII. The story is strayed quite heavily from actual history, but the sniper battles are cool.

The Thin Red Line was a good WWII movie, and had a massive cast of well known actors.

And the sister film to Letters from Iwo Jima is Flags of our Fathers, which was a good depiction from the American's view.

Sands of Iwo Jima is a good one with John Wayne, and I own the VHS converted to color, so I don't have the inconveniance of B&W. Had the macho vibe his movies tend to have, but it was good.

As for Platoon, I have mixed feelings. The first time I watched it, I was very driven by the contreversial characters, but as I rewatched it, it lost its luster and felt like any other preachy war film. BTW, is it possible for John C. McGinley to play a rule where he isn't a complete douche?

And I love Full Metal Jacket. Lots of gun errors and continuity mistakes though, which bugs me still. And how dumb was it for Hartman to scream at and insult a deranged man with a loaded rifle?