View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Actually I was researching Oregon state laws, since I'll be moving up there, and I learned that if you are a concealed carry permit holder and you have a firearm in the car or on you, you're not required by law to inform the police officer that you have a gun. It's a courtesy, really. In Ohio, however, when a cop pulls you over, if you have a gun and you don't tell him right away, it's against the law.

Also, according to wikipedia (and since this is important I would definitely double check this with your state's legislation) you can open carry, meaning your gun can be out and on you in plain sight, without any permit or license. Lucky you!

Still, I'd look online for your state's constitution and read up on it regarding firearms and weapons policies with regard to ownership and carry. Yes it's arduous and irritating sifting through all that text, but the knowledge is worth it.
Keep in mind I'm giving advise based on the strict rules of infamous New York, so I wasn't aware it is considered "courtesy" in some states to tell an officer you're packing heat. In mine it is a health risk to not tell the officer. You are liable to get bad lead poisoning.