View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
You're missing the point that running into a shantytown guns blazing isn't really a solution to any of those problems.
They're not going in guns blazing exactly (though obviously they are conducting armed raids). They are occupying the favelas. There is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
Legalize drugs (and guns) and you've delivered a tremendous blow to the gangs' abilities to organize and resist. Yes they'll still be up to no good with human trafficking and property theft, but the real money is in drugs. You can't finance an army with the profits from a chop shop, and it's alot easier to maintain the moral high ground (and therefore garner public support) when you're up against people who prostitute children as opposed to people who sell some powders to consenting adults.
You seem to have trouble separating your ideals from what is practical. The Brazilians don't have any control over American drug laws.

Also, while I am not opposed to Brazil reducing its gun laws (which are pretty ridiculous), I sure hope you're not naive enough to believe that armed citizens are going to be a match for drug gangs with automatic weapons and RPGs? Not to mention that there's a thin line between civilian and drug dealer in places like this. I am not sure one could expect much "resistance" to the gangs even if guns were easier to get.