Thread: Accessing IMFDB
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mercenary View Post
My point is why can't a page be a collection of contributions from numerous members, and with this its much more unlikely that incorrect information be posted.
well (a) every page can be a collaborative effort. No one is saying that it should NOT be and (b) the second part of your sentence is so completely wrong in the real world. It's only true if all of the people who contribute to the page know what they are talking about. I've discovered that, though many IMFDB members can learn A LOT and become awesome contributors, the vast majority of casual visitors don't know what they are talking about.

Quit grandstanding with these diatribes about how wonderful it would be if EVERYONE in the world contributed to an IMFDB page. In reality we see more erroneous information coming from dozens of anonymous sources, around the world, than not. There is NO RULE against anyone wishing to become a useful contributing member. You can edit a page, but be sure you are correct. Too many new users aren't.

I've made tons of mistakes (we are all human) and others have fixed pages that I have made and I am okay with it (but I usually don't like unnecessary changes, or changes which subtly deliver the wrong message). Pressing your point with backup won't get you banned. In fact it will earn you brownie points for being an honest and courageous scholar.

But constantly fixing stupid changes or wrong entries over and over again on popular pages really wears you down. But this is something every new members doesn't get, until they've been here a while, and his/her pages are constantly being messed with by anonymous (probably underage) users from all over the world.