View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 01:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Average gun fight is over in about 2 to 3 rounds. Carrying a gun as a citizen your only real advantage over anyone who tries to attack you is because they don't know you have a gun and that is the only real advantage and the only real reason that armed citizens win gun fights is because of the element of surprise. The reason why I don't carry a full size heavy high capacity gun is I see it as unnecessary and Id probably end up leaving it at home or locked in the glove box half the time whereas a smaller handgun I have no excuse to not be armed as I barely notice that I'm carrying it. Only real reason to carry that is if you are expecting a gun fight somethings gone wrong in your life and you need to move or call the police. Oh and if 5 guys attack me with guns I don't think a Beretta 9mm is gonna save me and your probably good as dead to put it realistically because If that many people are after your and want you dead and they'll get you eventually. Yeah of course its better to have a full size handgun but realistically I'm not going to carry that everywhere. 8 rounds is enough to do the job and if its not I probably made some bad life choices somewhere.
Again you can't use the term "Average gun fight" or "statistics show". It means that yes the odds of your gun fight lasting X amount time, encounter Y amount of foes and expend Z amount of ammo shows good favor but you can't let that decide your options. It's like rolling a dice. You might land good or you might suck.

I wear pretty good jeans even during the summer when the heat bothers most people and a good belt that holds my Glock and my spare constantly and it doesn't bother me. There's also the saying that a gun show be comforting, not comfortable, but there's a happy medium with that logic.

Some would call my Glock 19 a full size gun but with my body type, I see it as skirting the edge of a full size and compact. It's a pretty perfect size for me. Some want a bit smaller, so they'd get the Glock 26, sure and it's still a capable gun.

And no, it isn't that you carry a gun because you "expect a fight". It's "you're prepared for a fight".

Also the "call the cops" mentality is the opposite of carry mentality. Most anti gun people would go "why carry a gun at all when you can call the cops?" Well we know why. Cops take too long to help you and are not around every corner. We carry guns to protect ourselves, to put or lives in our hands, not let it hang while cops come to save us or most likely to report about us being victims.

Forget about the right gun or ammo or even training, you first need the mindset of a fighter. The warrior mindset. You go about your day doing whatever but when SHTF, you are ready for it. It most likely will be when you least expect it and will surprise you, but your mindset will kick in and you will fight for your life regardless.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”